Saturday, January 22, 2011

Training under Ateneo School of Government Blog 1

January 13 2011 - January 20 2011

January 12 2011 I got a call from the Ateneo School of Government informing me that I've qualified as one of their interns in the Executive Education Program of the Graduate School. The JVO Executive Education Program trains political leaders, civil servants and corporate managers in ethical governance and sustainable development. The Program was created to continue the efforts of the late Jaime V. Ongpin, a business and government leader from the Ateneo, in fostering cooperation between the private and the public sectors for national development.

The ASoG is accredited by the Civil Service Commission to conduct trainings and seminars especially for the government sector. Since 1997, the JVO Executive Education Program has trained over 1,000 public officials. The Program has also established partnerships with private institutions such as Smart Communications and Ayala Land Inc.

My first week as an intern in ASoG (the acronym for the Ateneo School of Government) was a blast! It was the first time I have set foot at the Ateneo... and it is also a sort of a dream come true to me.... ASoG was my prospect internship cite ever since. Ms. Karen Barria the program training associate (and an alumnus of PUP College of Communication, under the same course as I) gave me an introduction on what ASoG does, what are it ideals and mission in Nation Building. She then provide me with inside scoops of what it is like to be working on the forefront government training and good governance school in the country.

The School's overarching vision is "transforming communities, building a nation". It follows a 'mosaic' approach of

* Helping to build the country community by community, municipality by municipality, city by city, province by province, until the School establishes partnerships with 1,000 local government units (a critical mass of 60 percent of LGUs in the country);

* Linking islands of good governance - an explicit strategy to link effective and ethical leaders throughout the country;

* Stimulating public demand for reform - a 'demand-side' strategy based on experiencing good governance at the local level;

* Encouraging the emergence of new national leaders by training and giving support to promising executives from local governments; and

* Working with national institutions and organizations to promote governance innovations at the national level that can have a direct impact on enabling local governments to create wealth and deliver basic services.

Having the chance to train in this institution is a privilege on my part. Getting a hands on experience on the way ASoG help in Nation Building and community development is surely a one of a kind experience if not something to be proud of.

My first task was adding inputs on the methodology part of the International Labor Organization Research Proposal. Ms Aurma Manlangit the program director was set to provide me with background about the project the moment she arrived to the office from set of trainings Executive Education facilitated for the Department of Education Policy making Training. The assignemnt given to me was quite dense, the methodology part is one of the most crucial part of a research. Somewhat, i also felt he pressure because my first task has this degree of difficulty already, what more in the coming tasks that they will give me....

Overall, my first seven days in ASoG is an eye opener for me. That student days will soon be over and i should prepared my combat gears for the battle of the real world.

Reynald Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment